Before party wall building works can start, the homeowner needs a written Party Wall Agreement from all affected neighbours.

A surveyor has to be appointed to prepare a Party Wall Award. To begin this process, the homeowner has to serve a Party Wall Notice on their neighbours, in writing, about the planned party wall works.